Tattoo Removal Program
The Salt Lake Area Gang Project (SLAGP), in conjunction with Ink Doubt, LLC, and the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Utah Medical Center, coordinates a tattoo removal program for adults and juveniles in the State of Utah. The program was started in 1991 to allow former gang members to finalize their break with the gang lifestyle by having gang related tattoos removed.
The SLAGP will screen applicants to determine their eligibility for the program. Screening may include a criminal background check and verification of any information provided on the application form. Once a person is accepted into the program, the SLAGP will refer all eligible applicants to Ink Doubt, LLC (juveniles) or Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Utah Medical Center and they will provide free of charge, the physicians, technicians, and equipment necessary to provide this service. The number of visits required to remove a tattoo depends on a variety of factors, including the tattoo’s size and the colors and types of ink used. Some may be removed in as few as two visits while others may require several.
How To Apply
Interested applicants should obtain an application form by calling 385-468-9771. The completed form should be returned to the Salt Lake Area Gang Project, 3365 South 900 West, Salt Lake City, Utah 84119, ATTN: Tattoo Removal Program.
The following criteria are used to determine eligibility.
- Reside in the State of Utah for at least 1 (one) year
- No involvement with any gang members within 1 year of applying
- No arrests within 1 year of applying
- No criminal activity for 1 year following any incarceration, parole, or probation
- No unresolved issues with the courts (fines, bail, etc.)
- Letter explaining your future goals and plans and why you should be accepted into the Tattoo Removal Program
- If 17 years or younger, have written parent/legal guardian permission
- Submit photos of any tattoos that are to be removed. Please include a full body photo identifying the location of the tattoo and a close-up of the tattoo. The tattoos must be gang related.
- All applications will be reviewed. Exceptions may be granted on a case by case basis
- The application must be complete before it can be accepted. Failure to complete any one of the above requirements will result in the denial of your tattoo removal request
- Applicants will be notified by mail or e-mail whether their application is accepted or rejected. Individuals whose applications are accepted may be required to schedule a pre-screening interview
If accepted, it is the responsibility of the applicant to keep appointments and follow the doctor’s instructions. Failure to do so may result in being dropped from the program.
If you have any questions please contact the Gang Project at (385) 468-9770.
2021 Gang Conference
The tentative dates for the 2021 Gang Conference are August 3rd and 4th, 2021.
Choose Gang Free
Gang Prevention For Parents
For additional information or help getting your child out of a gang. choosegangfree.com
Send tips to:
Most Wanted List
Click image to view larger image
Click here to see how you can help capture public enemy #1.
Click here to learn about tatoo removal
Click here to learn about graffiti removal